Anyone can shop at the Swarthmore CO-OP, and everyone is welcome to join. Becoming an owner of a cooperative means, among other things, that you are making an investment in the CO-OP, essentially becoming one of the owners of the business. Your investment in the CO-OP is used as capital, assisting with store operations and improvements. With multiple payment options available, becoming an owner is easy.
What You Give
Support the Local Economy
- Local Farmers – Subsidizing farmers and their operations
- Employment – Providing jobs for over 40 people
- Contribution – Playing an important role in your local food system
- Stimulus – Supporting local products and businesses
Support the Local Community
- Social Outreach – Participation in monthly Sunday Suppers for the community’s food insecure
- Awareness – Environmental consciousness of pesticide-free agriculture
- Encouragement – Giving local farmers your vote of support
- Opportunity – A welcoming marketplace to forge new acquaintances and associations
- Education – Informing others about healthy choices in producing, buying and preparing food
What You Get
Discounts and Rewards
- Owner Appreciation Day – Quarterly savings and a chance to meet many of our local vendors.
- Owner Specials – Monthly department item discounts
- Special Bulk Pricing – Members receive 10% OFF self-serve bulk items, as well as full-case purchases.
- Frequent Buyer Program – Member discounts and rewards on favorite products
- Events and Classes – Discounted rates on all CO-OP special events, classes and trips
- Owner Business Partnerships – Reciprocal savings and benefits at participating CO-OP Member Partners in Swarthmore, Media, Philadelphia and beyond
- Home Delivery – $7 delivery charge every Tuesday and Thursday
- House Account – Convenient prepaid personal account
- Board Participation – Owners have voting privileges in board elections; participation in CO-OP’s governance; eligibility to serve on the board
- Shareholder – Owners hold 60 shares in the CO-OP
Benefits of Ownership Include
- includes everyone in your household
- fully transferable
- 100% refundable (once fully vested)
An option in which you can preload funds to an account that allows you or anyone in your household to make purchases without having to bring your money or credit card. Great for a quick stop while out walking the dog or when the kids just want a drink while out playing.
It’s a simple process that can be done in seconds. Just ask your cashier the next time you are shopping to open an account with no fees associated.