Be part of something bigger at the Swarthmore CO-OP
Who are we?
The Swarthmore CO-OP is the third oldest food cooperative in the country, with a long history of serving as a community anchor and beloved neighborhood grocery store for both its members as well as non-member shoppers -- "anyone can shop and anyone can join.” We place a strong emphasis on providing local and sustainably-grown/raised items and maintaining our important role as a full-service community grocery store. The CO-OP has approximately $6M in annual revenues and about 40 employees.
The Swarthmore CO-OP offers medical, dental, retirement, vacation and holiday benefits to eligible employees.
The team at Swarthmore CO-OP values diversity, and is committed to the principles of equal employment opportunity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, gender, national heritage, age (over 40), religion, sexual orientation or gender identity. We look forward to meeting you.
We are currently accepting applications for the following positions:
What is your role?
Our Fresh Foods team creates great deli sandwiches made from top-quality ingredients for our Co-op shoppers. You’ll also help customers with quality cuts of meat, seafood and poultry, as well as the signature dishes in our prepared foods case. You’ll ensure that each and every shopper visiting the store is offered the best signature dishes and gourmet deli sandwiches that the Co-op can create, and is treated with respect, attention, and care. As a Fresh Foods Team member, you’ll be trained by experienced chefs and senior team members, and you’ll provide our shoppers with information and recommendations about foods that meet their needs and tastes. You’ll have an opportunity to participate in our special events, such as Truckathon!
What we need from you --
- Assist customers in selecting deli sandwiches and meats, and prepared foods dishes at the Co-op.
- Become familiar with preparation of our signature in-house dishes.
- Become knowledgeable about weighing, pricing and packaging customer selections properly.
- Maintain a sense of energy in the store by taking initiative to do what’s needed.
- Demonstrate reliability and professionalism in your work habits and appearance.
What You Offer in Skills and Qualifications --
- You have availability to work during the week and on weekends.
- You can maintain a positive, can-do attitude with customers, despite daily pressures.
- You have some knowledge of deli or food operations (preferred, but not required).
- You are at least 18 years of age, and physically able to stand, move and lift for periods of up to 4 hours.
We offer you great training, a unique workplace and team, and flexible scheduling.
Are you our new Fresh Foods Team Member? Please apply below.