Submitted by: Carol Savory
- 4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves (I am more generous with the spices than this)
- 1 cup honey
- 1/4 cup candied orange peel, ground (chopped)
- 1/4 cup candied lemon peel “ “
- 1 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup shortening (Crisco or neutral flavored shortening)
- 1 1/2 cup unblanched almonds, finely ground
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1Tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 Tablespoon brandy
- Spoon dry ingredients into large bowl..
- Combine honey, sugar and shortening in heavy sauce pan. Heat to boiling point stirring often.
- Remove from heat and add fruit, nuts, candied peels, grated lemon peel and brandy.
- (Everything else). Pour mixture unto dry ingredients and combine. Let cool slightly.
- Roll dough out to 1/8-1/4 inch thick. Cut into rectangles and bake on parchment paper or lightly greased baking sheet.
- Bake until golden at 350 for 10-14 minutes.
- Frost while warm with confectioners sugar mixed with lemon juice.
This cookie should taste of citrus and spices not buttery.
Store with an apple in airtight container for 2-3 weeks until soft.
These don’t spread so you can put quite a few on the cookie sheet at a time
The dough is sticky so you will have to lightly flour the dough as you roll. If you let the dough cool a bit, it is easier to manage.